- CAS #: 5997-53-5
- Chemical/IUPAC Name: 1H-Benzimidazole-5-Sulfonic Acid, 2-Phenyl-, Monosodium Salt
- Cosmetic Restrictions: VI/6
- Salt form of the water-soluble chemical sunscreen called Ensulizole.
- Comes in a white to pale beige powder and added to sun protection products
- Once applied to the skin it provides protection from UV rays
- Formulated into almost all cosmetics and products that offer sun protection
Who can use it?
Anyone who is able to use the ingredient without any signs of allergy or irritation.
What is Sodium Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonate?
Sodium Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonate is an organic compound used in sunscreen and other cosmetic products that also offer protection from exposure to UV light. Known for its main benefit of being able to block UVB rays from causing the skin to burn. It can’t protect against the long range exposure to UVA rays which is why you will find it is teamed with other ingredients, including avobenzone, titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Due to the fact that it is water-soluble it helps formulas remain light-weight and non-greasy on the skin. Unlike many sunscreen ingredients you will find sodium phenylbenzimidazole sulfonate is able to remain potent with protective qualities do not degrade in sun exposure.
Side effects of Sodium Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonate
No reports of side effects when using sodium phenylbenzimidazole sulfonate, unless you have an allergy to sunscreen ingredient or formulations.