- CAS #: 28874-51-3 | EC #: 249-277-1
- Chemical/IUPAC Name: Sodium 5-Oxo-2-Pyrrolidinecarboxylate
- Origin(s): Vegetable, Synthetic
- Also known Sodium Pyrrolidone Carboxylic Acid
- A form of salt naturally produced in the body and found in the skin
- Functions as a hair and skin conditioning agent as well as a humectant
- Is a non-comedogenic ingredient which results in it not clogging the pores or causing acne flare-ups
- Known as a skin-identical ingredient meaning it is part of the natural moisturising factor (NMF)
Who can use it?
Seeing as it is naturally occurring in the body, all skin types should be able to use this ingredient in their routine with the peace of mind it won’t cause any irritation to the skin.
What is Sodium PCA?
A natural component of the skin, Sodium PCA (Pyrrolidone Carboxylic Acid) provides impressive skin replenishing benefits due to the fact it carries humectant properties meaning it is able to draw in moisture from the air surrounding the skin and other skincare formulas, by locking in the excess moisture your skin will remain hydrated, looking plumped and healthy throughout the day. With the increase of water in the top layers of the skin that will keep the surface looking supple and glowing, you’ll also find signs of premature ageing, such as fine line and wrinkles will be significantly reduced with the texture of the skin left smoothed and flawless.
Side effects of Sodium PCA
There have been no known or reported side effects of Sodium PCA in your skincare routine. If you have any concerns consult with a doctor or dermatologist to ensure you keep your skin healthy and happy.