- CAS #: 91722-22-4 | EC #: 294-424-5
- Origin(s): Vegetable
- INCI name: SACCHARUM OFFICINARUM EXTRACT
- Also known as Sugar Cane Extract
- Known for being extremely moisturising and often used as a humectant
- Strongly linked to the popular AHA, glycolic acid
- Works at removing dead skin cells from the skin’s surface helping to restore radiance
- Can combat other skin concerns such as blackheads, spots and other blemishes
Who can use it?
Anyone who doesn’t show signs of allergy to the ingredient or experience any irritation.
What is Saccharum Officinarum Extract?
Strongly connected to the very popular alpha hydroxy acid, glycolic acid, saccharum officinarum extract can provide gentle skin exfoliation whilst acting as a humectant. This not only helps rid the skin of dead skin cell build-up but also keeps the skin moisturised. This then has the on-going benefit of drawing water from the area surrounding the skin to become absorbed helping the overall hydration of the complexion. By applying saccharum officinarum extract every day enables you to combat various skin imperfections, such as acne and other blemishes by removing the dirt and bacteria from pores and lower layers of the skin.
Side effects of Saccharum Officinarum Extract
No known side effects, however if you skin is sensitive and prone to redness or flare ups in eczema it would be best to check with a dermatologist to ensure this ingredient will be a beneficial addition to your skincare routine.
Scientific evidence of Saccharum Officinarum Extract
- Faznurfariza Firdaus, Nicholas. Extraction of glycolic acid from natural sources. Diss. Universiti Malaysia Pahang, 2012.