- INCI name: S-MU-CONOTOXIN CNIIIC
- Also known as XEP-018
- A 22 amino acid peptide that provides “Botox-in-a-jar” results
- It’s a cell communicating ingredient meaning it tries to copy the behaviour of natural peptides
- Extensive research has found Mu-Conotoxin Cniiic to provide significant reduction in deep set wrinkles 2 hours after application
- Helps the skin to repair itself by allowing new collagen cells to grow and mature improving the skin’s elasticity
Who can use it?
Anyone who does not show signs of side effects or reactions when first tested on the skin. Those with sensitive skin must consult with a doctor to ensure this is the best ingredient for their skin type.
What is Mu-Conotoxin Cniiic?
For an ingredient with a very complicated name, the skin benefits of Mu-Conotoxin Cniiic are a lot more simple then you may think. It is a 22 amino acid peptide molecule and has been said to belong in the collection of skin ingredients known as “Botox-in-a-jar” resulting in deep set wrinkles to become visibly reduced as a result of the muscles relaxing and giving the skin an all-over smoother finish. You will also find that it is a biomimetic peptide meaning it carries cell-communitive properties in it allowing it to copy the behaviour of natural peptides found in various areas such as the marine cone snail which aids transmission that translates into the instant line reduction found in so many popular cosmetic products.
Side effects of Mu-Conotoxin Cniiic
No known side effects, however the overall effects on this ingredient are short term meaning anyone who is wanting a more permanent result should look into other ingredients to introduce into their skincare routine.
Scientific evidence of Mu-Conotoxin Cniiic
- Favreau, Philippe, et al. "A novel µ‐conopeptide, CnIIIC, exerts potent and preferential inhibition of NaV1. 2/1.4 channels and blocks neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors." British journal of pharmacology 166.5 (2012): 1654-1668.