CAS #: 1135-24-6 | EC #: 214-490-0
- Chemical/IUPAC Name: 4-Hydroxy-3-Methoxycinnamic Acid
- Found naturally in plant cell walls, especially rice, wheat and oats
- Enriched in antioxidants and is known as its main skin function
- Proven to stabilise vitamin C and increases its photoprotection from harmful UV rays
- Contains antibacterial properties that helps control and prevent bacterial negative effects on the skin
Who can use it?
Those with a hyper-sensitive skin type should introduce ferulic acid with caution due to it being a member of the AHA family. Performing a patch test for 24 hours is important to establish whether this acid can be used safely without signs of irritation.
What is Ferulic Acid?
You’ll find that ferulic acid is derived from a number of grains, such as oats, rice and sometimes apple seeds. Often included into skincare formulations containing vitamin C to help balance and stabilise the notoriously tricky vitamin. Packed with antioxidants it has the ability to combat uneven skin tone, signs of premature ageing, inflamed skin and other signs of pigmentation. All of these concerns occur when the skin comes into contact with free radicals that transfer onto the face as soon as you step foot outside, pollution, sun exposure and even freezing temperatures all contribute the damage.
Side Effects of Ferulic Acid
No known unless you have a sensitive skin type and find this acid too potent and results in unwanted irritation.
Scientific evidence of Ferulic Acid
- Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, Volume 79 (3) – Mar 1, 1999, Ferulic and caffeic acids as potential protective agents against photooxidative skin damage
- The Journal of investigative dermatology., 2005 Oct;125(4):826-32., Ferulic acid stabilizes a solution of vitamins C and E and doubles its photoprotection of skin.
- International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 79 (3) – Mar 1, 1999, A comparison of skin delivery of ferulic acid and its derivatives: Evaluation of their efficacy and safety
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.