CAS #: 180898-37-7
- Chemical/IUPAC Name: 1H-Benzimidazole-4,6-Disulfonic Acid, 2,2'-(1,4-Phenylene)Bis-, Disodium Salt
- Cosmetic Restrictions: VI/24
- Also known Neo Heliopan AP and Bisdisulizole Disodium
- Ingredient added to sunscreen products designed to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays
- It is known as one of the only sunscreen ingredients that are water-soluble
- Helps sunscreen formulations become less greasy when applied to the skin
- Has a good safety profile and can be used by almost all skin types
Who can use it?
Anyone who does not show any signs of irritation and allergy when applying this ingredient to the skin.
What is Disodium Phenyl Dibenzimidazole Tetrasulfonate?
Generally speaking, when it comes to sun protection you may be surprised to hear that there is only a small portion of the sun’s radiation reaches the earth’s surface. 40% of this is the infra-red known as the “heat” and 5% as the invisible UVA and UVB rays. Amazing to think that only 5% can cause such a large impact on the skin, which is exactly why Disodium Phenyl Dibenzimidazole Tetrasulfonate is added to the formulations of SPF products particularly those that are named broad-spectrum that generally means they have a UV filter that can absorb the UVA and UVB rays protecting the skin and making it photo-stable as well as easily added into various cosmetic products.
Side effects of Disodium Phenyl Dibenzimidazole Tetrasulfonte
None reported however ensuring you perform a patch test for 24 hours to avoid any unwanted skin irritation.