- CAS number: 84012-18-0
- Origin(s): Vegetable
- INCI name: CENTAUREA CYANUS FLOWER WATER
- EINECS/ELINCS number: 281-664-0
- Found mainly in products to help with eye care and other eye related concerns
- Provides cooling and toning properties making it ideal for mature skin
- Daily cornflower compresses on the eyes are to visibly diminish fine lines around the eyes
- Can also work as effective eye makeup remover
Who can use it?
Due to the gentle nature of cornflower and the fact it is mainly used around the eyes, everyone is able to use it in their skincare routine.
What is Cornflower?
Cornflower is an herb that has been used to treat various eye concerns for hundreds of years. Containing potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties using cornflower on overtired, puffy and itchy eyes will help soothe and reduce any irritation that often occurs from factors such as hay fever and long hours on a computer. Not only does it soothe, but it can also treat the eye area focusing on any signs of ageing, such as crow’s feet, fine lines and deep-set wrinkles around the eyes which is why you can expect to find extracts of cornflower in skincare products specifically formulated for those with mature and crepey skin as it can diminish lines and tone the skin, additionally, you’ll find it is a safe product for contact wearers to use it.
Side effects of Cornflower
No major side effects found when using cornflower in your skincare routine, if you are concerned it is best to perform a patch test for 24 hours before applying it to your skin.
Scientific evidence of Cornflower
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 1999, Anti-inflammatory and immunological effects of Centaurea cyanus flower-heads