- CAS Number: 134134-87-5
- INCI name: COLLOIDAL OATMEAL
- Aids a soothing effect to irritated skin
- Can be used as an abrasive face and body scrub to provide skin exfoliation
- Can help combat severely drying skin conditions such as eczema and other rashes
- Is a emollient meaning it makes the skin smoother, softer and nourished looking
Who can use it?
All skin types, especially those with dry, sensitive and eczema prone skin.
What is Colloidal Oatmeal?
Colloidal oatmeal is finely-ground oats that contain a number of skin benefits properties, including moisturising and antioxidant properties. Colloidal oatmeal has been highly praised for a number of reasons, mainly due to the fact it is one of the only known skin ingredients to cause no irritation for anyone, no matter their skin type. By soothing the skin it is also able to reenforce the protective layer of the skin found on the outer surface which is also known as the protective skin barrier. When this barrier is fully functioning it is able to combat any free radical damage and other stresses to the skin caused from exposure to the elements, heat fluctuation from central heating and other environmental aggressors you skin comes into contact with on a daily basis.
Dry skins are particularly benefitted from using the oatmeal as a physical exfoliator that can help remove the build of flaking, dry areas of skin without being too harsh and irritating, leaving it moisturised and healthy.
Side Effects of Colloidal Oatmeal?
Absolutely none! Colloidal oatmeal is one of the very few skincare ingredients that is praised for causing no skin irritation.
- Michelle Garay, M. S., M. B. A. Judith Nebus, and B. A. Menas Kizoulis. "Anti-inflammatory activities of colloidal oatmeal (Avena sativa) contribute to the effectiveness of oats in treatment of itch associated with dry, irritated skin." Journal of drugs in dermatology 14.1 (2015): 43-48.