- Cas Number: 84776-25-0
- INCI name: CETRARIA ISLANDICA THALLUS EXTRACT
- More commonly known as lichen which is the main diet of reindeer
- Used in traditional medication to treat colds, sore throats and coughs
- Is a humectant meaning it forms a moisturising film over the skin to aid hydration
- Can help reduce the appearance of dehydrated skin making fine lines and wrinkles less visible
Who can use it?
Everyone, but those with an oily and blemish-prone skin type will really benefit from applying products containing cetraria islandica thallus extract.
What is Cetraria Islandica Thallus Extract?
More commonly known as Iceland moss, cetraria islandica thallus extract is a hybrid between a fungus and an algea and is able to survive under extreme weather conditions. Though it has been used for centuries in traditional medicine, particularly for sore throats, coughs and colds it is making its way into some skincare products. This is due to the fact it is a dumectant, which means it forms a moisturising film over the membranes of the skin helping to soothe and relieve any dryness or irritation. When applying products enriched in this extract you will find moisture is locked into the skin and an all over healthy and glowing appearance is the end result to the complexion.
Side effects of Cetraria Islandica Thallus Extract
None to be reported when used topically to the skin, however if ingested can cause kidney and bladder problems as well as some swelling to the throat and mouth. Always perform a patch test for 24 hours before applying it to the skin.