- CAS #: 1302-78-9 | EC #: 215-108-5
- Origin(s): Mineral
- INCI name: BENTONITE
- Food additive: E558
- Classification: Regulated
- Can come in various colours all dependant on the mineral content
- Excellent at absorbing things, such as excess sebum and gunk from the skin
- Can combat oiliness to the skin
- Calms and soothes skin infections and can work on skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
Who can use it?
Anyone who has not shown any signs of dryness or irritation when using the ingredient in their daily routine. Those with skin prone to severe dryness should consult a doctor to ensure it won’t affect the skin badly.
What is Bentonite?
Bentonite is a type of clay often found in face mask formulas due to the fact it is highly effective at absorbing oil from the surface of the skin whilst sucking out any excess sebum and gunk from the pores. Considering how effective it is at clearing the pores of bad bacteria and pathogens, you may be surprised to hear Bentonite is also able to calm skin irritations and soothe skin allergies that can combat some skin concerns such as psoriasis and eczema. With all these detoxifying benefits you must remain cautious of overusing this ingredient as it can easily dry the skin out a little too much so always follow a clay mask with a skin boosting hyaluronic acid or other hydrating ingredient.
Side effects of Bentonite
If used incorrectly or too frequently can become too drying to the skin.