- Aphanizomenon Flos-Aquae Extract is also known as Lanablue
- Used in topical skin products due to its lifting and toning properties
- The fatty acids in AFA help improve the skin’s structure, making it firmer and more elastic
WHO CAN USE IT?
All of those who do not suffer from skin conditions, such as eczema, or have a sensitive skin type.
WHAT IS APHANIZOMENON FLOS-AQUAE EXTRACT?
Aphanizomenon flos-aquae extract is more commonly known to be an extract from a blue- coloured algae, it has gained some popularity within skincare products due to the fact it has the same desirable benefits on the complexion as retinoids (without the drying side effects). This ingredient has the ability to speed up the cell renewal process meaning the skin is given an all over rejuvenated and glowing finish. This is done by sloughing away dead skin cells and pushing the new ones to the surface.
After a short study on the benefits of aphanizomenon flos-aquae extract it found that a small percentage of volunteers discovered their skin to look smoother and feel softer after daily application for 4 weeks. As impressive as this may sound, many other studies have shown there are more potent skin ingredients that deliver the same retinol like effects, such as bakuchiol.
SIDE EFFECTS OF APHANIZOMENON FLOS-AQUAE EXTRACT
As mentioned, although this ingredient brings with it retinoid like benefits to the skin, it does not cause any irritation or side effects meaning it is safe to use by everyone, if a doctor or medical professional has given it the all clear.
- Mycosporine-Like Amino Acids: Potential Health and Beauty Ingredients Ewelina Chrapusta, Ariel Kaminski, Kornelia Duchnik, Beata Bober, Michal Adamski, Jan Bialczyk Mar Drugs. 2017 Oct; 15(10): 326. Published online 2017 Oct 21.
- Microalgae Encapsulation Systems for Food, Pharmaceutical and Cosmetics Applications Marta V. Vieira, Lorenzo M. Pastrana, Pablo Fuciños Mar Drugs. 2020 Dec; 18(12): 644. Published online 2020 Dec 15.