- CAS number: 92128-82-0 / 68917-51-1
- Seaweed extract
- There are over 20,000 different types of algae and can be formulated into 10,000 different types of skincare formulations
- Algae is a skin conditioning ingredient that also works as a humectant locking in moisture into the surface of the skin
- Brown algae extract is the most popular type often used in skincare formulas
- Though there is no scientific backing, it is considered that algae provide potent anti-ageing properties
Who can use it?
If you are wanting to know if algae extract is the right ingredient to add to your daily routine, you must perform a patch test for 24 hours beforehand to prevent any skin irritation. Should you have any further skin concerns you should consult a doctor or dermatologist.
What is Algae Extract?
There are over 20,000 different kinds of algae and each one can be formulated in to over 10,000 different types of skincare products, quite impressive for something you often find on ponds. The skin benefits of algae are a great many, the most prominent being its function as a humectant, skin conditioner and emollient. All of which are able to help the skin lock in moisture, sooth and keep the skin feeling hydrated and healthy. There have been a number of studies into how effective certain types of algae are for the skin and although the skin benefiting properties previously mentioned rank high, there are also some signs of anti-ageing benefits and antioxidant properties when using products containing algae extracts in the formulations. This however cannot be confirmed 100% as there are large amounts of different types of algae available it would be nearly impossible to specify which type would help reduce the signs of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin.
Side effects of Algae Extract
No known side effects from using algae extracts, however you must always ensure your skin can tolerant it before applying it all over the skin.
- Bioresource Technology, May 1, 2015, Exploring the potential of using algae in cosmetics
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.