It’s easy to see serums as one of skincare’s most mysterious products. You yourself may have a collection of different types (we certainly do anyway) but can you, hand on heart, admit you really know what it is they actually do for the skin? We’ve put together a serum profile or you to take a look at and get to know this fabulous product a little better.
What is a serum?
Serums are a blend of potent, active ingredients that are used to target an array of skin concerns. You will find that their consistency can alter, but are normally water-based and absorb into the skin in record speed! Their formula is made up of smaller molecules so are able to get into the lower layers of the skin, by working down further in the skin they are great at targeting areas such as wrinkles and fine lines.
What are the benefits of a serum?
The list of serum benefits for the skin is honestly, enormous. With a vast selection of ingredients (hyaluronic acid, ceramides and vitamin C to name a few) the possibilities are endless. The point of a serum is to contain a powerful amount of active ingredients that will penetrate further down the skin and combat any skin concerns.
Here are some main benefits found in serums;
- Serums can boost the production of collagen and help combat any signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles.
- Serums can lock in moisture into the skin and stopping it from becoming dehydrated.
- Serums can reduce the appearance of dark spots and uneven skin tone.
- Serums can protect the skin from damaging free radicals and environmental aggressors such as pollution.
- Serums can treat blemish-prone skin and prevent any more spots and blemishes from developing.
This all sounds pretty impressive, right? You may be wondering why you should be using a moisturiser at all with serums putting in so much hard work.
Although serums can be extremely hydrating and moisturising to the skin, it is still advisable to use a moisturiser as these work on the outer layer of the skin and form a protective barrier on the face to keep all the good stuff in the skin and keep the bad stuff out, making serums and moisturisers and powerful duo in your skincare routine.
Why should I use a serum?
At the end of the day it is really down to you and what you decide to use on your skin, it is your skin after all. But if you are finding that even after making the time and effort to cleanse, tone and moisturise your face every day to find you skin is starting to look dull, lacklustre and beginning to show the signs of ageing then opting to add a serum to your routine would be the answer.
The concentrated strength of serums are higher than a moisturiser and can deliver results quicker due to the fact that once the serum penetrates the skin it can busily work away, almost undisturbed whilst being protected by the moisturiser on the epidermis of your face. It’s a win, win situation!
How do you use a serum?
To ensure your serum is able to perform its best you must apply it at the correct stage in your routine.
Here are the key steps to follow to have your serum deliver the best results;
- Ensure you have removed all traces of makeup with a remover, preferably not with wipes.
- Cleanse the skin thoroughly to remove any remaining traces of makeup, dirt, debris, oil and daily build-up of grime and pollution.
- Next use a toner, by doing this you are sweeping away the layer of dead skin cells that can create a barrier and making it harder for the serum to absorb into the skin.
- Now comes the serum, apply onto the entire face (be sure to avoid your eyes) and allow a couple of minutes for the serum to fully absorb into the skin.
- Apply your favourite moisturiser to build a protective barrier and keep the water and oil levels of the skin balanced.
- Finally apply an SPF of 30 and above to ensure your skin is kept safe from any UV damage.
This is an example of a great, basic skincare routine for you to try if you feel as though your skin is missing something and need a little boost.
Serums are considered the more expensive of skincare products, but it is certainly an investment that is worth parting with your hard-earned cash for. The potent formula of a serum is very powerful and effective and when applied correctly will work wonders for your complexion.
When should I start using a serum?
Yesterday! But in all seriousness, there is no wrong time to start using a serum in your daily regime. Prevention is the secret to keeping your skin healthy, happy and youthful looking so the sooner you start the better!
Should you use a serum every day?
Yes and no, it is also best to look at the label to double-check. It is all dependant on the ingredients used and the idea behind the formulation, for example, an evening serum may contain retinol which is UV sensitive and ineffective when used during the day. Generally speaking, however, a majority of serums can be used every day.
Is using a serum good for my skin type?
Almost everyone would benefit from using a serum, here are the key ingredients to look out for when looking for a serum best suited for you and your skin type;
Blemish-prone & oily skin-
- Glycolic acid
- Hyaluronic acid
- Vitamin E
- A word of caution for those of you with sensitive skin. Due to the potency of serums, the powerful ingredients can be a little too heavy going and cause irritation. It is best to perform a patch test for 24 hours before applying the serum to your skin.
For skin that is looking dull piling on an antioxidant-enriched serum would work and will stop free radicals from damaging the skin and give it a revitalised glow. If you are having some concerns or worries about using a serum than consult your dermatologist for some more advise.
Serums are an amazing skin-changing product, and hopefully, by now you have a better understanding of what it is serums actually do for the skin. With an enormous collect available for you on the market, many of which producing outstanding results you will be truly spoilt for choice!
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.