The popularity of bee related skincare has grown over the years, there isn’t one beauty product that hasn’t has the buzzing effect of using some ingredient derived from bees, from serums, to sheet masks. Today we investigate which skincare ingredients are sourced from bees and what their benefits are, let’s get stung- sorry I meant stuck into things.
What ingredients from bees are used in skincare?
There are a few ingredients that are sourced from bees that have made their way firmly into some high performing skincare products;
- Royal Jelly
- Bee venom
What does honey do for the skin?
Honey has been the secret to beautiful skin for centuries, dating right the way back to the Ancient Greeks who used honey in its raw form in a multitude of ways which are very similar to the ones used today. The key benefits of honey are the following;
- Honey is naturally antibacterial
- Honey can help balance skin that is experiencing hormonal changes
- Honey is packed full of antioxidants
- Honey is a humectant meaning it can attract water to the skin and lock it in making it appear more hydrated
- Honey is anti-ageing and can improve the appearance of fine line and wrinkles
For these benefits alone this would explain why extracts of honey can often be found in treatment products such as serums and cream based overnight masks and body butters due to the hydrating properties of honey in its purest form when applied to the skin. You will also find that honey can be used as a topical treatment for scars left over from acne and blemishes, try dotting some honey onto the area you want to treat uneven skin tone every night and you will begin to notice a difference in pigmentation in 4 weeks.
What are the side effects of honey on face?
Although we have explained how beneficial honey is for a number of skin concerns there is still the chance of you being allergic or reactive to applying it to your face. To play it safe it is best to perform a patch test which is done as follows;
- Apply a small amount of honey onto the inside of your arm
- Wait for 24 hours
- Check your skin after 24 hours for any signs of swelling, blistering, redness and itching
- If there no signs of these you are able to apply the honey to your face
- If you are still unsure then consult your doctor or dermatologist for further guidance
What does beeswax do for the skin?
Often seen as the most useful ingredient, with many skin protecting properties beeswax is regularly incorporated into the formulas for popular hand and lip balms designed to defend the skin from harsh weather climates. The main benefits found in beeswax are the following;
- Beeswax can create a barrier on the surface of the skin protecting it from bacteria and other damaging factors.
- Beeswax naturally strengthens the skin
- Beeswax is a humectant and emollient which helps the skin remain hydrated and soft
- Beeswax is rich in vitamin A allowing it to rejuvenate the skin cells supporting the skin surface by making it appear more youthful and glowing
You will also find that beeswax is used in many rich and heavy balms you can use on the entire body, from your feet and upwards making it quite the versatile ingredient to be sourced from bees.
Are there any side effects from using beeswax?
Beeswax is safe to use by most people when it is applied directly to the skin, however, much like all beauty products it needs to be tested before using to ensure you don’t have an allergic skin reaction resulting in a rash or irritation.
Is bee propolis good for the skin?
Bee propolis possess high levels of healing properties meaning it can help with maintenance of a strong immune system and re-enforces the body’s resistance to viruses, these benefits transfer easily over to the skin making it a powerful ingredient at combating problematic and blemish-prone skin. Here are a few more skincare benefits you can expect to see when using bee propolis;
- Bee propolis is a high performing antioxidant protecting the skin from free radicals and other environmental aggressors
- Bee propolis contains anti-bacterial properties making it a highly effective ingredient at combating spots and blemishes
- Bee propolis is rich in vitamin B, C and E
- Bee propolis can enhance the skin’s renewal allowing to restore glow and bounce to the complexion
- Bee propolis is an all-natural skin healer that can help treat and repair any skin damage caused by blemishes and scarring.
It is no wonder to learn that bee propolis has been used in skincare routines for over hundreds of years and remains one of the most used ingredients in anti-blemish skincare products found today.
What are the side effects of propolis?
When using bee propolis it is important to remember your safety, with this I mean if you have an allergy to bees or bee products you must not use any product containing bee propolis.
What does royal jelly do for the skin?
Royal jelly is the secretion that comes from the honeybees and used to nourish the larvae of new queen bees, a name well suited as you can see. It has been used for overall health care dating back centuries with none other than the Ancient Egyptian Queen Cleopatra applying it to the skin to retain her youthful appearance. There are also a number of other benefits found in royal jelly that can target some common skin concerns.
- Royal jelly is enriched in fatty acids, amino acids, minerals and complex B vitamins
- Royal jelly is a natural antibiotic and contains antibacterial properties
- Royal jelly is rich in proteins that help to support the skin renewal
- Royal jelly helps to increase collagen production and can provide the skin with a helping hand in achieving a firm, radiant and youthful complexion
- Royal jelly can also combat the signs of premature ageing by ironing out the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
I wouldn’t be surprised if you felt like royalty after applying this potent ingredient and there are many brands that are able to harvest the jelly in a safe and stress-free way keeping the bees and their queens content and healthy.
Are there any side effects from using royal jelly on your skin?
If you have no known allergy to bee or bee products then using royal jelly is safe to use, as we have mentioned previously however it is best to perform a patch test and consult a dermatologist should you have any concerns with using this product.
What are the skin benefits of bee venom?
The ultimate natural botox, bee venom has taken the beauty industry by storm and can often be found in plumping and anti-ageing products, from lip balms to face masks. The main benefits you will find when using bee venom are;
- Bee venom is anaphylactic meaning it can temporarily relax your facial muscles the same way many experience from using botox
- Bee venom can provide the skin with an overall tighter and smoother looking complexion
- Bee venom has the capability to reduce the appearance of fine line and wrinkles
- Bee venom can break down cell membranes and improve the circulation resulting in the skin appearing plumped
Botox effects with the needles, pain or price tag? No wonder there is such a buzz around this natural ingredient!
What are the side effects of using bee venom?
Bee venom products must be completely avoided if you have any known allergy to bees, even if there is a history of bee allergy in your family you must consult a doctor before even performing a patch test on the skin.
We hope that we have shed some light on the skincare ingredients that are sourced from bees and you have a better understanding of these ingredients and if they are something you would love to incorporate into your skincare routine, we bet you’ll look even more bee-autiful than before…. Ok we’ll buzz off now with these bee puns.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.