We are all seeking that one product that makes our hair look shiny, full of bounce and health and not too long ago you would only be able to achieve this with a visit to your hairdresser. Luckily for us hair oil has become kind of a big deal with many hair care brands scoping out the most nourishing and high performing formulas all ready to give us glossy tresses worthy of a Disney princess. There just remains one question, what is the best oil for your hair? This is something we are looking into today.
Is oil good for your hair?
This really all depends on which hair type you have and the condition it’s in, by applying a hair oil you will help nourish and restore the strands giving an all-over natural shine. Those with curly, coarser and drier hair will find they see a real difference in its manageability and appearance.
- Curly hair- This type of hair is known for being a little too dry at times. Applying hair oil to curly hair will have the curls to be coated in moisture allowing them to become smoother making taming and styling a lot easier.
- Fine hair- Fine hair can really benefit from applying a hair oil. Use the oil in the mid length and ends whilst avoiding the roots as the product can weight done the strands and result in the hair looking greasy.
- Dry hair- This goes without saying that dry hair adores hair oil to help replenish it, smoothing and hydrating your locks giving them back some health.
- Oily hair- It may sound a bit counteractive to apply oil to oily hair, but focusing the product to the ends of your hair will encourage hair growth and avoid breakage.
As you can see many hair types will find oil will restore their tresses making them more manageable, stronger and looking their best.
What happens if we do not apply oil to hair?
The hair has a natural oil produced which is the same as the one we have on our skin called sebum. Its job is to regulate the hair keeping the hair and scalp healthy whilst preventing any dandruff and hair loss. To help with the sebum production it’s best to brush your hair regularly which takes the oil from the scalp down onto the strands. This distribution of sebum will help your hair, however it is always a great idea to have an additional product in your routine for a number of reasons.
- Applying oil will regulate the sebum production of your hair and will prevent your scalp from becoming dry and itchy.
- By massaging oil onto the scalp you will also find that hair growth is improved and your hair will be nourished, thicker and shinier.
- Dandruff problems can also be prevented from massaging hair oil in the scalp to stimulate blood circulation keeping your hair healthy.
Those are some of the benefits of hair oiling you can expect to see when using the various oils on the market. You will also find that hair fall out will be reduced and concerns such as split ends will also be significantly less visible.
Which oil is best for my hair?
Here are some of the main oils found in the formulas of the most popular hair care products. They can either be found as an additional ingredient or used in their raw forms.
The benefits of coconut oil for your hair care are plentiful, from promoting healthy scalps, stimulating hair growth and it can even protect your strands from becoming damaged from heat as a result of regular styling.
Ideal for- All hair types, particularly those with dry, damaged and dull hair.
Argan oil, also known as the liquid gold from Morocco, was the first oil that kicked started the nations obsession. This clever oil has the ability to protect the hair from UV damage and heat. It can smooth the hair making it a lot easier to style and feeling super soft.
Ideal for- Hair types that are dry, brittle, frizzy and frequently exposed to heat. If you find you have greasy roots and dry ends this is the perfect oil for you.
Jojoba oil is highly moisturising and can nourish the hair from the roots all the way down to the ends with the added bonus of preventing dandruff and dry, itchy scalps.
Ideal for- Dry, damaged and dull looking hair that can have problem with dandruff and itchy scalps.
You will find that a majority of these oils are found in hair care products due to their many hair restoring properties. Some other oils used are, olive oil, sweet almond oil, lavender oil and grape seed oil, all of which provide similar results giving the hair a thick, nourished appearance with a gleaming shine.
Should you oil hair everyday?
Although oil is good for the hair, you can in fact apply too much and begin to cause some level of damage. Applying an oil 1-2 times a week is the ideal amount as it will help maintain balance to the scalp and hair. If you introduce hair oil to the head every day you will find dirt and bacteria build up and can interfere with the natural oil production of the hair which can lead to an increased amount of hair fall out. Keeping a good routine of using hair oil will keep the hair looking and feeling its best.
How long should I leave oil in my hair?
This really all depends on you and your time schedule. With highly nourishing oils, such as jojoba oil, you are able to leave the product on your hair for roughly 10-20 minutes and it will hydrate the tresses and tame any fly aways in no time. You are also able to leave an oil in your hair overnight which is ideal for coarse, dry and damaged hair as this will replenish the strands, smoothing out the follicles and giving the hair a natural shine. Just be sure to protect your pillowcases from any residue!
So, there you have a little more information about which oil would best suit your hair type and any damage caused by everyday styling. In no time at all you’ll have commercial, hair flipping worthy hair!