It’s funny how as soon as soon as you come to terms with the fine lines and wrinkles that develop on your skin over time, skin sagging begins to make an appearance. When it comes to skin sagging however, there is often a lot of confusion about which routine or treatment is the best way to go about combating and potentially reversing the signs of skin sagging. So, this is why today I will be focusing on finding out more and sharing with you the best tips I have found and answer your concerns about how to tighten sagging skin on the face.
Before I do that though, let’s first find out why it occurs in the first place:
Why do I have sagging skin on my face?
- First of all, there is the breakdown of collagen and elastin production in the skin. As we age this process slows down resulting in the skin beginning to show the signs of sagging which often starts on the jaw line and cheek area often revered to a ‘jowls’.
- UV exposure has a lot to answer for when it comes to skin slacking. Damage caused by free radicals from the sun not only breakdown existing collagen with the activation of enzymes, but also prevents the development of new collagen being produced, overall finishing with a loss of firmness to the skin.
- You may also find that as we age, we often lose facial fat which over time results in the face looking sallow and drooped.
- Lack of a skincare routine can also lead to the skin ageing a lot quicker than expected, even a simple routine will help slow down any signs of ageing.
- Lifestyle choices also play a factor in skin ageing, habits such as smoking, excessive drinking or use of sun beds can age the skin more rapidly.
Now that you have a better understanding of how the skin begins to sag and the reasons for it, I will now share with you some advice on ways of treating and preventing it at home and through the help of trained professionals.
How can I tighten loose skin on my face?
There are a couple different routes you can take when tightening loose skin. Let me start by sharing with you the simplest ways which is using daily facial massages, which have grown a lot in popularity in recent months. These massages are developed to exercise the facial muscles that are under the skin, although we use them constantly to talk and show thousands of different expressions, we rarely exercise them in a way that will tone the skin and help it becoming firmer. There are many different tools available and various techniques you can find on social media and YouTube, if you decide to give facial massaging a go, to reap the rewards it is best to consistently use them for more than two weeks, that will give enough time to see a marked improvement.
Another way of tightening loose skin on the face is to try popular skin treatments such as radiofrequency and ultrasound devices. Both methods provide impressive results by promoting the production of collagen with minimal discomfort and super quick recovery time. The side effects that you can expect to suffer from are redness, swelling and some numbness after the treatment but soon wear off, something to remember if you find yourself considering plastic surgery to combat skin sagging with a face lift. Many practitioners have shared that they are suggesting leaving surgery as the very last option, instead opting for the two treatments previously mentioned.
Can you reverse sagging skin on face?
Yes you can! When it comes to skin ageing, we find that prevention plays a vital role. It is never too late to start using skincare products or specific ingredients and methods, as long as you start using any of these you will find there is a significant improvement of the appearance of your skin and the overall look of the complexion. By introducing a potent active skin ingredient or begin using a massaging tool, you are taking the first steps into reversing any sagging skin, particularly in the jaw and cheek area.
Here are some life swaps to make if you are wanting to prevent skin sagging:
- Applying a daily SPF of 30 and higher, even on overcast days will product the skin from harmful free radical damage and the breakdown of collagen
- Avoid smoking and going on sun beds
- Drink enough water throughout the day
- Ensure you fully cleanse the skin at the end of the day to rid it of any leftover makeup products
- Use a skincare routine containing high performing and potent ingredients
You can also reverse any skin sagging with skincare advice that has already been shared, don't forget you can find out more about combating the signs of skin ageing in our blog post about the top 5 most effective anti-ageing ingredients.
How can I increase collagen in my face?
There are many different ways of boosting collagen levels in the skin which are easily achieved from topical ingredients, supplements and diet.
- Hyaluronic Acid- an important compound for collagen in the skin and can be found in different foods, supplements and in a lot of skincare products. It also contains humectant properties meaning it is able to lock moisture into the skin and help keep the face hydrated and looking youthful.
- Vitamin C- a potent antioxidant that is able to combat any free radicals and prevent any skin damaged caused from exposure to UV rays, pollution, central heating and other environmental aggressors
- Retinol- praised for its ability to increase the lifespan of collagen in the skin and is able to block the enzymes that develop from free radicals and break down collagen.
To ensure these powerhouse ingredients can deliver the best results, it is best to opt for a serum formula. This is due to the fact that, unlike moisturisers, serums are able to reach further down into the lower layers of the skin and reach the area collagen in produced.
I hope that there have been some answers to your concern about skin sagging today, don’t forget you can always head over to our Instagram for more skincare advice, new product launches and weekly giveaways