Times have changed a lot since we introduced our activated charcoal powder as a form of teeth whitening powder. It seems that almost every culinary dish has been transformed into a black beauty, while we wanted to introduce our very own charcoal pancake recipe to celebrate Shrove Tuesday on the 5th March.
250g plain flour
150 ml semi-skimmed milk
3 free-range eggs
2 tsp Baking powder
2 tsp activated charcoal
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon yogurt
1 pinch of salt
- Preheat a non-stick pan and melt the butter, before placing some of the butter in a separate bowl
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, activated charcoal, vanilla essence and baking powder into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt
- Break the eggs into the mix and whisk. Follow up with milk, being gradually poured as you mix
- Once all signs of lumps have disappeared, stir in the butter that was put aside and whisk again
- Spoon the mixture onto a hot frying pan and fry for around 2 minutes
- Flip the pancake and then cook for a further 1-2 minutes
- Top the pancakes with your choice of topping, we recommend raspberry compote and lemon yogurt
The pancakes are light and fluffy, with a great taste, especially when combined with the compote. We trialled a few toppings, which all tasted amazing, including a lemon focused option, as well as a savoury, which we might document at a later date, but this one was our favourite.
The red also looks very aesthetically pleasing alongside the black charcoal pancakes.
These were also designed in an American pancake style, but they could also work with crepes, as long as the charcoal powder is very fine, as you wouldn't want lumps that might remain when forming the final mixture. This might actually make up a future post, as we are suckers for a good crepe!
BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.