When it comes to ageing, it is usually our eyes that show the signs first. This is due to the fact the skin around them is 40 times thinner than the rest of the face. Crow’s feet, which are the fine lines and wrinkles that occur around the eye area are a very common sign of skin ageing and affect almost everyone. If you are sitting there wondering why we get them, what are the causes and how to get rid of them, well you’ve come to the right place.
What are crow’s feet?
On average we blink 15-20 times a minute, (which is roughly 20,000 times a day) and it is this basic movement that causes the muscles around the eyes to crinkle and move which over time causes a breakdown in collagen and elastin. It is not just blinking that can cause these wrinkles, all facial movements, whether you’re laughing or crying will eventually cause lines. This is inevitable as we age, and unless you decided the stop the amount of times you blink a day or never laugh again…. There is no stopping it. Having said this, there are some other factors that contribute to the skin ageing, such as, free radicals, sun damage and hormonal changes, some of which can be prevented. We will share with you some tips and changes to make to help slow down any visible signs of fine lines and wrinkles.
You will find there are two types of wrinkles that appear around the eye area- dynamic and static. You will find that the dynamic wrinkles are those that occur when there is muscle movement, i.e when you smile. Static wrinkles are the lines that have become deep set over time and are visible all of the time on the face.
What are the main causes of crow’s feet?
As previously mentioned, there are many factors that can contribute to crow’s feet, from the natural ageing process to lifestyle choices. Here are some examples of the main causes of crow’s feet;
- Frequently squinting- ensure you keep up to date with your eye appointments to make sure your vision is functioning properly and you don’t require a change in prescription or need to wear glasses.This will prevent you from squinting which causes wrinkles. You should also protect your eyes from the sun with either sunglasses or a hat, you will see a noticeable difference in the skin's appearance and will find yourself squinting less often.
- Excessive rubbing of the eyes- take care when removing any makeup or cleansing the eye area, a heavy hand can tug and pull the delicate skin making it appear older.
- Smoking- this can damage the skin in many ways, it slows down the circulation of blood cells and production of collagen making the skin prematurely age and show wrinkles and lines.
- Your sleeping position- this can also play a part in skin ageing, try and avoid laying on your side as this can contribute to crow’s feet, you can also swap your pillowcase to silk as this material is gentle and less damaging for the skin and hair.
- Over exposure to the sun- this will increase the speed of skin ageing with free radicals causing damage to the skin’s protective barrier resulting in wrinkles, dark spots and inflammations.
- The natural ageing process- this is also a main cause of skin ageing, signs of premature ageing can be reversed and further ageing slowed down with a well established skincare routine.
How do I get rid of crow’s feet around the eyes?
- Eye Creams
Though it may feel foolish to have a separate product to apply to the eye area, if you have sensitive eyes that can become quite irritated you will find the formulas on eye creams are more gentle to use. There are a few active ingredients to look out for when deciding on which eye product will best suit you;
- Hyaluronic acid- very hydrating for the thinner skin around the eye area and can help diminish signs of some lines
- Vitamin C- packed with antioxidant and can counteract the damage caused by free radicals
- Retinol- best used in an evening routine and is a powerhouse anti-ageing ingredient
- Vitamin E- enriched in photoprotective effects that can help repair the skin and prevent any further damage
Always remember to apply your eye cream with your ring fingers as you naturally apply less pressure and will avoid the skin being pulled.
Applying daily sun protection will prevent any further damage to the skin and allow skincare products to work at reversing the signs of ageing that are already present. SPF can be found in a number of eye care products and have a lightweight formula that contain gentle mineral filters to shield the skin from exposure to UV rays without causing any irritation to the eyes.
- Face Exercises
Facial exercises can also help at reducing the appearance of crow’s feet and are very simple to do;
- Eye wrinkle pressure hold- Take the index and middle finger, place them both on the outer corner of the eyes on top of the area that has wrinkles and gentle press down and hold for 5 seconds. Complete this up to 3 times for the full effect.
- Eye tapping- drum your finger-tips along the natural curve of your eyes to promote blood flow to the eye area and helping the skin appear more plumped and smooth.
- Wrinkle stretch- place your index fingers on the outer corner of the eyes and gently stretch the skin upwards, repeat 5 times on each eye.
- Other Prevention Tips
- ensure you limit the amount of exposure your skin has to the sun’s UV rays, remember to apply an SPF before heading out your door to full protection
- Avoiding sun beds will also really benefit your skin and help reduce any signs of premature ageing
- Quit smoking, nicotine breaks down the production of collagen making any existing fine lines and wrinkles more deep set and visible.
- Maintaining a healthy diet that is full of nutritious vegetables, fresh fruit and whole grains to help protect the skin from free radicals
These are examples of how to get rid of crow’s feet around your eyes, there are many options available but we have found these to be the most effective and the easiest addition into your everyday skincare routine.
What treatments help minimise crow’s feet?
If you are wanting to take further action in addressing any concerns you have with crow’s feet, there are some skin treatments to consider;
- Botox and fillers
These are thought to be the treatment that shows the quickest results, with Botox able to relax the muscle that causes the wrinkles and give a smoother, line-free appearance. Fillers will help with anyone who has found their eye area to have lost volume and have a more sunken in appearance.
- Skin tightening
Skin tightening has the same results as fillers and Botox but works with a temperature-controlled device that is designed to reach further down into the skin and increase circulation and smoother out the area. It is a very quick procedure of 10-15 minutes and is totally pain-free!
Microneedling is performed by using a hand-held device that creates controlled skin injury, though this may sound scary, it just send signals to the skin to produce collagen to heal it making it appear more plumped and wrinkle-free
All the above mentioned treatments should always be performed by a professional and not tried at home. If you have any concerns or want to find out more about which treatment would be best for you consult a dermatologist or trained expert.
So, there you have some answers on how to get rid of crow’s feet! If you also find you have concerns with forehead wrinkles, you can check out the dedicated blog post over on our website.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.