It may seem that at times achieving clear skin feels as though it is a dream that will never become a reality. The thing about spots and blemishes, no matter what you do there are so many factors that cause breakouts that sometimes, spots just happen. Not to worry though as it’s not all doom and gloom! Luckily, I have taken a closer look into how to get clear skin and with a little consistency and time you will see a world of difference when it comes to the overall look of your complexion.
How do you get clear skin fast?
There are many different ways you can get clear skin fast, but before I start sharing with you the best skin tips I have found, it is important to understand that getting clear skin is not a quick fix. Depending on how severe your breakouts are can lead to any inflammations, skin redness or uneven skin tone taking a little longer to completely clear up. Don’t however, feel disheartened at the thought of this as once you skin has established balance and has become used to any changes you have made it will become a lot more manageable.
I’ll share with you now the steps and changes you can make to your routine to help clear your skin quickly and effectively. By all means you do not need to do all of the mentioned steps, but instead work the ones that will best suit your lifestyle and skin type.
- Cleanse the skin, but don’t over wash it!
The feeling of wanting to wash your face until it squeaks can often feel overwhelming, especially if you are suffering from a particularly pesky breakout. But it is very important to not over-wash the skin, this is because your skin actually needs some oil on it to remain balanced (yes even those of you who have an oily skin type). If you strip the skin of the vital sebum it needs to remain comfortable and functioning properly you will actually unknowingly send stress signals to the sebum glands kick starting an over-production of oil leading to, you guessed it, more spots and blemishes! An easy way to remember this by aiming for your skin to feel clean, not squeaky clean!
- Try cleansers containing Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide
Both of these ingredients are powerful at blemish fighting as they reach further down into dermis layer of the skin, deep into the pores. They have the ability to clear away a build-up of sebum, bacteria, debris and other impurities giving you clear, healthy skin. Another useful point to remember is that you are able to use both ingredients during your daily routine, ensuring of cause your skin is happy for you to do so and not become too dry and uncomfortable. There is a dedicated blog post about which you should use first, salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, admittedly they both sound quite scary, but when used correctly will work wonders on the skin.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate
Whether you decide on a physical scrub or chemical exfoliant both are ideal for sloughing away the build-up of dead skin cells that frequently result in the skin appearing dull, lacklustre with many active spots and blackheads. Popular AHAs are potent and effective at revealing a fresh skin cells giving the skin a vibrant glow, glycolic acid and lactic acid are the two most used in formulations due to their skin reviving abilities with little skin irritation to those with normal and combination skin types.
- Wash then exfoliate
Would you have a shower with your clothes on? Exfoliating the skin whilst still wearing makeup is the same thing with product simply getting smeared around the skin and pushed deeper into the pores causing them to become clogged which will result in all manner of problems.
- Don’t skip on the moisturiser
Often the mindset of wanting clear skin usually involves the thinking that moisturisers are a no go with this step sometimes being missed out altogether. The main job of moisturiser is to not only help hydrate and nourish the skin, but to also form a protective barrier over the skin preventing any environmental aggressors disrupting any other products and ingredients you applied during your daily routine.
- Wash your makeup brushes
If you are finding you breakout in the same area, such as your cheeks, then one of the culprits could be your dirty makeup brushes! If you don’t wash your makeup brushes there will be a build-up of bacteria and dirt on the brushes are transferred onto the skin and back again in a viscous blemished cycle.
- Seek the advice of a dermatologist
If you are beginning to feel that no matter what you try there is no improvement, then it’s time to seek the advice of a dermatologist.
I hope that whichever one of these you decide to introduce into your routine will benefit your skin giving some clarity to the complexion.
How do you get clear skin overnight?
As I mentioned earlier, when it comes to getting clear skin there is no fast track and will take some time and consistency. However, there are some things you can do to help any active spots look and feel reduced and prevent any new breakouts from developing.
- Make sure your pillowcases are clean- much like your dirty paint brushes, placing your face on a bacteria covered pillow will create the same probably. Aim to change your pillowcases 3 times a week if you are finding your skin is very oily and problematic.
- Use a spot cream containing benxoyl peroxide- this ingredient combats the bacteria that creates spots called P. Acnes bacteria, by topically applying it onto the spot will give a more potent and targeted treatment.
- Keep your hair off your face- keep your way out of the way of your skin, especially if it is in need of a wash to prevent the oils transferring onto the skin.
- Use a probiotic enriched overnight face mask to calm any redness and inflammation to the skin, making it less visible by more.
- Get enough sleep- to have clear skin, you need enough sleep. The skin rejuvenates itself while you sleep so aiming for the recommended 8 hours will have significant difference to the skin.
- Drink enough water- the power of h2O on the skin is unbelievable, start drinking 3litres of water a day will completely change the clarity of your skin.
There you some advice on how to get clear skin, we would love to hear if you give any of these a try and any results you have! Drop in over on our Instagram for daily skin tips, advice and exciting giveaways!