Now I’m not meaning to sound too Game of Thrones, but winter is coming, it really is. There is so much excitement surrounding these chillier months and the thought of long dark evenings tucked up under blankets with some hot chocolate make us feel quite wonderful. The problem that so many of us forget is just how much havoc winter can cause on our skin. How do you get rid of dry skin in winter? That is exactly what we will be answering today and sharing some top tips along the way.
How to treat dry skin in winter
Here are some tips on how to treat dry skin,
- Ensure your environment is not too drying on the skin
Freezing cold wind and central heating are two skin drying culprits during the winter months, we rarely consider how our day to day lives will have an effect on our skin but a lot of concerns with dryness come from the environments we are working or living in. The best way of ensuring your skin won’t face an uphill battle from dry air is to maximise the amount of water in it. Try keeping the heating at a suitable level that is not too hot and damaging to the skin. You can also try using a humidifier will keep the moisture in the air allowing your skin to absorb and keep the protective barrier functioning properly and not becoming too dry.
- Load up on the antioxidant serums
Antioxidant enriched serums are made for combating all the nasty free radicals and environmental stresses that our skin comes into contact regularly. We always suggest applying a serum containing antioxidant ingredients, such as vitamin C, on the daily basis. However, if you haven’t introduced one to your routine yet then now is the perfect time. Antioxidants are able to repair the skin by providing a protective coat over the outer layer of the skin that can begin to feel dry, tight and looking dull. Another point to remember is to apply an SPF, yes even on the darkest, gloomiest winter days to protect from UV damage that can also lead to the skin becoming dry.
- Use a face scrub
With your skin being dry in the winter, chances are it will have some flakes and rough patches. To prevent these building up and leading to other skin concerns like a sallow looking complexion or breakouts it is best to use a face scrub to buff away any dead skin cells, dirt and debris to reveal new skin. Stick to using it 2-3 times a week that way you won’t cause any reaction to the skin such as redness, tightness and becoming even drier.
- Opt for richer formulas in moisturisers
If you have a dry skin type you probably already use a heavy, rich formulation when it comes to your daily moisturiser. This is ideal for keeping on top on the health and appearance of your skin as cold, wintery weather can cut through moisturisers quickly and cause irritation, dryness and sometimes redness. If you find you have an oilier skin type try products that contain high levels of hyaluronic acid to help keep the skin hydrated and comfortable without the worry of clogging pores or excess sebum.
How to cure dry skin on your face overnight
During your evening routine is the prime time to repair the damage of the day, especially throughout the winter months. Here is a run down of the best skincare routine to have when the temperatures dip and you notice your skin has become dry.
- Choose a cleanser that is not too harsh for the skin but can still get it as clean as possible. Try using products containing chemical exfoliating ingredients such as salicylic and glycolic acids are great for reaching the lower layers of the skin, buffing away dead skin cells and giving the skin back some vibrancy.
- Use a face scrub 2-3 times a week when you are not using a cleanser containing the AHA and BHA previously mentioned. This will keep your skin clear but won’t overwork it causing it to irritated and uncomfortable after being stripped of any essential oils.
- Slather the skin in antioxidant enriched serums and facials oils, apply liberal amounts if your skin is dry as it will give your skin enough time to absorb whilst you sleep. An easy way of figuring out if you have applied enough is by taking a look at your skin in the morning, it is still tacky or sticky to touch you had applied enough product the night before.
- Opt for a heavier and richer moisturiser during winter to keep the skin’s protective barrier working properly throughout the day.
- Try some hydrating and moisturising overnight masks for an added boost of nourishment whilst you get some shut eye.
- In the mornings avoid any harsh chemicals, exfoliants and cleansers but instead use water a flannel to clean away any residue from overnight products. This will keep your skin clean and not overworked which can lead to a number of skin problems.
There you have some steps on what to do to cure dry skin overnight, remembering to bear in mind that it can take a little longer to treat any severe dryness to the skin caused by the harsh winter weather and other daily aggressors.
How to deal with dry skin on a daily basis
By following the steps shared above you will prepare your skin for combating day to day exposure to skin stresses, you can also try these tips to keep your skin happy and healthy throughout the day.
- Remember to apply an SPF before any makeup to protect from harmful UV rays
- When you know your skin will be exposed to a lot of central heating try applying a multipurpose skin balm that can help protect from any dryness and discomfort.
- Keep hydrated and drink plenty of water as this will help your skin remain healthy.
- switch up your skincare products for ones that will nourish and protect the skin and prevent it from becoming dry.
So, there are this the advice we have on how to get rid of dry skin in winter. You will find that over time any concerns with dryness will become a distant memory as you establish a nourishing and protective skincare routine that will see you through the winter, before you know it you’ll be dusting off your sliders and rushing to book a pedicure!
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling skincare products.
TRY OUR BEST-SELLING BODYCARE PRODUCTS
Treat your skin today with one of our best-selling bodycare products.